REQUIREMENTS TO PRACTICE REAL ESTATE IN NEBRAKSA
PLEASE READ THE REQUIREMENTS AND LICENSING PROCESS CAREFULLY BEFORE PROCEEDING TO THE NEXT PAGE.
- Must be 19 years of age
- Must have a high school diploma or certificate of equivalency
- Provide the Nebraska Real Estate Commission with a criminal background check run by the state patrol*
- Appointments for fingerprinting are by appointment only. Call the Criminal Identifications Division (402) 479-4971 to make an appointment.
- State Patrol fingerprinting office is located at 3800 NW 12th Street, Lincoln, NE 68521
- Complete a minimum of 66 clock hours of courses approved by the Nebraska Real Estate Commission (salesperson license applicant)
- Pass the state licensing exam
- Additional Brokers License Requirements: Must have 2 years of experience and complete an additional 66 clock hours of courses approved by the Nebraska Real Estate Commission
For more information and details contact the Nebraska Real Estate Commission (402) 471-2004 or www.nrec.ne.gov
*A cleared background check must be provided by the State Patrol to the Nebraska Real Estate Commission prior to sitting for the licensing exam. This process may take anywhere from 4 – 12 weeks to complete, so you are advised to schedule an appointment as soon as possible.
Steps to proceed through the application process most expediently (per the Nebraska Real Estate Commission):
While there are at least three parties that can affect this process; the applicant, the State Patrol and the Real Estate Commission, we would like to share with you what we believe to be the most expedient manner in which to pursue a real estate license.
Please remember that applications, with their fees, are only considered current for one year from the date we receive them. Therefore, it is in the applicant’s best interest that he/she pursue the fingerprinting immediately upon receiving the fingerprint cards from the Commission.
- Obtain an application packet from the Nebraska Real Estate Commission office (402-471-2004) or online www.nrec.ne.gov
- If qualifying through education and examination, consider pre-license education requirements; proof of completion may be send to the Commission before, with, or after the application form, itself, has been submitted
- Submit the application and fees to the commission
- Upon receiving the application, the Commission will, immediately, return fingerprint cards with instructions to the applicant.
- Pursue the fingerprint process; be aware that it is taking on average 8-12 weeks for criminal reports to be received in the Commission office
- While waiting for the report, provide everything else required for a complete application including course certificates or transcripts; those seeking licensing through the license recognition process will need to make arrangements for a Certification or License History relative to the license being recognized, to be sent directly to the Nebraska Real Estate Commission
- When the criminal background report has been received in the Commission office a letter will be mailed to the applicant indicating either
- 1) the application is complete and an appointment may be made to take the examination, or
- 2) the application is incomplete and listing the items remaining for a complete application. Applicants will no longer have to call periodically to see if the Commission has received the report, we will conform receipt with one of the letters described in this section.
- To have a license issued upon successfully completing the examination, applicants must provide proof of errors and omissions insurance, if seeking to have an active license; all necessary information regarding the manner in which they intend to do business; and the license fee
CONTINUE TO VIEW CLASSES